Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Thing 1 and Thing 2 Hand Prints

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss (on the 2nd)!  Last year when Dr. Seuss’ Birthday came around I was teaching and totally missed celebrating it at home with my Little Miss, so this year I was super excited to do some fun things.  I absolutely love Dr. Seuss!  One of our favorites is The Cat in the Hat, my daughter loves watching the Cat in the Hat show on PBS, we are always singing, “Here we go, go, go!”
Thing 1 and Thing 2 made out of hand prints.

{You’ll Need}
Peach paint
Light blue paint
White paint
Foam paint brush
Red paper
Sharpie
Thing 7Because it was a little nerve racking trying to take pictures of my two year-old during the process of making these, I am using my hands, which look all kinds of freaky to me, but it was better than worrying about having paint everywhere!

Thing 1









{Step 1}
Paint your fingers and the outside of your palm light blue.


Thing 2















{Step 2}
Press down on paper.  Trying to center it side to side, better than I did!


Thing 3





 





{Step 3}
Paint peach on the inside of you palm, slightly overlapping the blue from before.  Add a little more blue to your fingers if it has dried.  If you look at a picture from the book, they have white faces . . . I thought it might look a little freaky, so I took an artistic liberty and used peach.
 


Thing 4















{Step 4}
Press down firmly, trying to line up the tips of your fingers from before, but shifting position of fingers from previous print to fill thing blanks a little bit.



Thing 5Thing 6














{Step 5}
Dab a little paint on your finger for a neck.  After the paint has dried add details with a Sharpie.  Don’t forget the little white circle on the shirt.  We were able to fit both Thing 1 and 2 on my daughter's paper.



 Tomorrow I really want to make some Thing 1 and 2 cupcakes to celebrate!
image{Found at Kitchen Dough}

image
{Found at Goodlife Eats}

image
{Found at Sugar Swings}
I love that the heads are made out of Dum Dums dipped in white chocolate with blue frosting hair. 

Or a super simple route, these marshmallow pops:
image
{Found at Goodlife Eats}

Do you have any fun plans to celebrate?

26 comments:

  1. that is ridiculously cute! your fab drawing is the perfect finishing touch! :)
    seriously.
    so.
    cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! These hand prints are too stinking cute! I have a Thing 1 and Thing 2 too. Just might do this one soon. :) Thanks for sharing! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute!!!! And yeah--the white would have been a little weird, so the peach is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are SO cute! I would totally have to print out the bodies though b/c i can't draw at all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I LOVE the Thing One and Thing Two prints! SO cute!!!

    I'm your newest follower! Love to have you following what we're up to at our house...
    SunScholars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting all your wonderful ideas!! We made Dr Seuss Cat in the Hat fun treats yeterday @ www.thehokeypokeykitchen.com
    Come visit us.. thanks for sharing your ideas.. i am also making cupcakes tomorrow... we are making the sneetches s mores cupcakes!! hope urs turn out well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These turned out great. Thing 1 and Thing 2 look amazing. I’m adding a link to this on my children’s book blog where I collect Dr. Seuss ideas.
    http://www.obseussed.com/p/books.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE IT! So awesome!! I am a huge seuss fan and decorated my living room in seuss flavor this past holiday season.
    If you get a chance to pop on over to my blog. I have pics posted there of my Seuss room.
    I am totally going to do this project.
    Thanks for sharing.
    www.countingbunniestoo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Dr. Seuss! Cute ideas, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, these are adorable! We are celebrating tomorrow with green eggs and ham for breakfast and lots of Dr. Seuss crafts. I might borrow the Thing 1 and 2 from here! thanks for the inspiration, stopping by from TCB.
    Jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything is so cute! You are so talented. I was looking for your email & couldn't find one- I was wondering if I could feature your craft on my Handprint & Footprint Art blog? If ok, please e-mail @ artsy_momma_blogs{at}yahoo{dot}com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Visiting from My Delicious Ambiguity.
    These are PERFECT!! I would have never thought of these! We are made the cupcakes just this morning. Looking forward to browsing your other ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute!! Love the new look of your blog btw! Did you do it yourself? It looks great

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, due to a stomach bug, I wasn't able to make these guys like I had wanted to. But I did feature yours on my blog instead.
    http://www.scissorsandspatulas.com/2011/03/happy-birthday-dr-seuss.html
    Thanks so much for the inspiration.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for linking to my cuppies! they were so fun to make!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How adorable and really creative! Can't wait to add these to my "bag of tricks" when I go back to teaching. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just LOVE the hand prints! I added a link at my blog, http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/03/dr-seuss-inspirations.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is one of the most clever Dr. Seuss projects I've seen! I'm going to link to it on my Dr. Seuss recap post tomorrow!

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love, Love, Love the Thing 1 and Thing 2 handprints. I will definitely be doing these next year. I adore handprint crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So stinking cute! I can't wait to try this with the twins. Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am your newest follower! I found your handprint craft on Pinterest & I love it!!!! That is tooo cute!

    Hope you take a visit my way

    Michelle
    The 3AM Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love them! These is one of the CUTEST Dr Seuss Projects I've seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just stopping by to let you know that I've featured another great craft on Fun Family Crafts! You can see it here:
    http://funfamilycrafts.com/handprint-thing-1-thing-2/

    If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them. :) If you would like to display a
    featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So cute! Seriously, Thing 1 and Thing 2 normally freak me out a bit, but yours are pretty cute!

    ReplyDelete

{Thanks for taking time to stop by!}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...