Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Read With Me Wednesday: The Help

I know, many of you have probably already read The Help by Katherine Stockett.  I am such a nerd, I thought it was some kind of self help book, and had no desire to read it.  That sounds even nerdier in writing than it did in my head!  But I finally picked up a copy from the library, am not quite finished with it, but have loved every minute of it!  My new favorite book of 2011 – so far.  I am so in love with these women, their trials and heartbreak, and their strength and courage.  Absolutely loving it.

image
The Help
written by Katherine Stockett
464 pages

What perfect timing for this optimistic, uplifting debut novel (and maiden publication of Amy Einhorn's new imprint) set during the nascent civil rights movement in Jackson, Miss., where black women were trusted to raise white children but not to polish the household silver. Eugenia Skeeter Phelan is just home from college in 1962, and, anxious to become a writer, is advised to hone her chops by writing about what disturbs you. The budding social activist begins to collect the stories of the black women on whom the country club sets relies and mistrusts enlisting the help of Aibileen, a maid who's raised 17 children, and Aibileen's best friend Minny, who's found herself unemployed more than a few times after mouthing off to her white employers. The book Skeeter puts together based on their stories is scathing and shocking, bringing pride and hope to the black community, while giving Skeeter the courage to break down her personal boundaries and pursue her dreams. Assured and layered, full of heart and history, this one has bestseller written all over it.  (Publishers Weekly)

A few other books I have read and enjoyed.  Sort of those good, calming, relaxed, kind of books that are just nice to read.
image
The Girl With a Pearl Earring
written by Tracy Chevalier
256 pages











imageFlying Home
written by Rachel Ann Nunes
320 pages











imageThe Quilter's Apprentice
written by Jennifer Chiaverini
272 pages











imageJoy in the Morning
written by Betty Smith
304 pages

5 comments:

  1. Yes!! That was such a good book!
    And I see you've got Joy in the Morning up there--if you haven't already you must read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by the same author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh! Good pick! I love The Help!
    ~Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave you an award today! http://frymanfour.blogspot.com/2011/04/awarded.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. is it bad that I have read zero books on that list? I better get busy, they all look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw your Dr. Seuss photo on Pinterest and followed it here to visit your blog. (Very cute Cat in the Hat project, by the way.)

    From your list I've read The Girl with a Pearl Earring and some of the Jennifer Chiaverini books.

    At some point, I'd bought a copy of Joy in the Morning at a used book sale, but never read it. Last week I pulled it out to read. Hope it's as good as A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

    ReplyDelete

{Thanks for taking time to stop by!}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...