Saturday, January 29, 2011

Glowing Snowmen

Cheap – Check

Supplies on hand – Check

Craft the kiddos can help with – Check

Fast – Check

Snowman 1a

Waaay back in October I made these ghosts out of empty milk jugs, and have been trying to think of a way to use the same idea again.  I came up with these little snowmen.  They were super simple to make, and make our porch so much cuter!

 

Snowman 3

{Supplies}

Empty milk jugs
Black and orange paper
Hot glue gun
Yarn
Fun Foam
Red paint
Paint brush
Knife
Scissors
Christmas lights

 

{To Make}

Once you’ve collected all the milk jugs that you want, make sure they are cleaned and dried really well, you’re ready to get started!

Cut out eyes and mouth pieces out of black cardstock. 

Cut out carrot nose from orange cardstock.  When I made the ghosts, I used a permanent marker to draw the faces on, you could do the same with black and orange markers, but I wanted the noses to stick out from their faces. 

Attach pieces on milk jugs using hot glue gun.  I tried my old friend Mr. Modge Podge, but it was a slippery mess!  Holt glue was soo much faster and easier, although I realize not the most kid friendly.

Snowman 4

I added some rosy cheeks with a tiny bit of red tole paint.  The paint was having a hard time sticking to the jug, so once it dried I sprayed it with a little bit of hair spray. 

You could stop here and your snowman would be perfectly fine.  But I was not going for fine, so I added some earmuffs.  Using yarn and some fun foam.  I made some pom poms out of yarn, cut a strip of fun foam.  Attached the yarn to the fun foam and then put the earmuffs on the snowman. 

To insert lights cut a flap in the back of the milk jug.  When I made my ghosts, I found the lights stayed in better if you cut a flap, not a whole.  So I went with a little back flap.

 Snowman 5

Stuff lights inside, arrange as desired, plug in lights and whal-la!

Snowman 6

 

 

I’m linking up to these parties this week!

24 comments:

  1. OMG THAT is so cute!!!! I love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! Fun project with the kids ;)
    Stef
    itsallinmyheadstefsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, caaauuuute!My daughter would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea and thank you for your post. I shared it on my blog, linking back to your site. http://craft-connection.blogspot.com/2011/10/snow-men-craft.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS IS GREAT IM DEF GONNA DO THIS WITH MY KIDDO THX

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really a creative idea! My hat is off to you, great project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When isaw your pumpkins, I immediately started saving milk jugs for snowmen! Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these today with my daycare kiddos after seeing this on Pinterest. They turned out super cute. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Use battery operated lights that have a timer and you can put them any where!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THANK YOU SOO MUCH YOU GAVE ME A GREAT IDEA....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the wonderful idea! I did this with my story time children at the Library this week and it was a BIG hit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just stopping by to let you know that I have featured your project on Fun Family Crafts! You can see it here
    http://funfamilycrafts.com/glowing-snowmen/

    If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them :) If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is SUPER cute!! We are planning on doing this in a couple of weeks for a Snowman week. I am your newest follower. I'd love for you to follow me back, if you want to =-) I wanted to invite you to link up at TGIF Kid-oriented Linky Party - http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties
    Merry Christmas,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Regarding: Glowing Snowmen

    Hello, my name is Trina Clarey and I am the owner and operator of a new website called the Christmas Crafts Nook. The goal of my site is to provide teachers, parents and kids with fun, easy to do craft ideas centered on the holiday season. The site will consist of reviews and recommendations from me in relation to a variety of differently themed Christmas Crafts. Each review will be accompanied by a picture of the craft and a link to your site where they can find the instructions and materials needed to complete each craft.

    All crafts will be properly cited and have links to direct my visitors to your webpage to obtain complete details. I will not be claiming the work of others as my own.

    I am writing to ask permission to use a photo and link to a craft idea from your site on my site. Together we can spread the joy of holiday crafting around the internet. Please email me back (clarey.trina@yahoo.com) in order to verify that I have permission to use your ideas on my site.

    Thank you very much,

    Trina Clarey
    Owner and Developer
    christmas-crafts-nook.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thinking of making these for outdoor use, I was going to substitute colored duct tape for facial features. Has anyone tried this?

    ReplyDelete

  16. You may want to try to sign up for that site that features photographs, descriptions, prices, and a schedule for all among the male sizegenetics services. The contact information should be easy to access and allow you to speak in a professional before ab muscles an appointment. It should allow you talk about your needs and desires. For this day and age, there may be no root of a gay man, or anyone else for that matter, to build difficulty finding the sizegenetics services who they need. The Internet rrs really a great resource for anyone who is looking for any sensual male sizegenetics especially, erotic male sizegenetics. You owe it to yourself to seek out a web presence might serve your needs and furthermore finding are regular professional who fits well into your desires.
    http://buysizegeneticsonline.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. How many lights were on the light sets you used? Some parents donated strings with 100 (even after I asked for no more than 50 per set.) I just think 100 is too much and will melt the jug. Just wondering how many were on the set you used?

    ReplyDelete
  18. wondering what size set a lights did you use for these?????

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi.
    This is adorable. Would you mind if I used this tutorial in my craft book?
    Thank you for reading and have a very merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a lovely idea. I like this diy tutorial Thanks for share.

    ReplyDelete

{Thanks for taking time to stop by!}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...