Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Read With Me Wednesday: Eat, Pray, Love

image Eat, Pray, Love:  One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia
Written by Elizabeth Gilbert
352 pages

At the age of thirty-one, Gilbert moved with her husband to the suburbs of New York and began trying to get pregnant, only to realize that she wanted neither a child nor a husband. Three years later, after a protracted divorce, she embarked on a yearlong trip of recovery, with three main stops: Rome, for pleasure (mostly gustatory, with a special emphasis on gelato); an ashram outside of Mumbai, for spiritual searching; and Bali, for "balancing." These destinations are all on the beaten track, but Gilbert's exuberance and her self-deprecating humor enliven the proceedings: recalling the first time she attempted to speak directly to God, she says, "It was all I could do to stop myself from saying, 'I've always been a big fan of your work.'"  (The New Yorker)

 

I have been stuck in somewhat of a rut lately.  After reading the first Percy Jackson, I became totally obsessed with reading the next books in the series.  The wait at the Library for the second book was FORVER long, so I finally gave in and decided to buy it.  Then NO PLACE had the second book (this was probably just the universe telling me to be patient and wait on the on the hold list).  I finally found it at Costco, in St. George, and my husband talked me into, well more like suggested, it didn’t really take much talking into, getting the third book too.  So I read both books in like five days.  Now I am burnt out/stuck in a rut.  I am waiting on the hold list for the fourth book, I needed a little break from Percy Jackson, so meantime I have been trying to read Eat, Pray, Love.  I say trying, because well, I’m just not that into it.  I’ll be honest, I made it through the “Eat” section/chapters, but have had a really hard time getting up the umph to read the rest of the book.  I’ve heard lots of good things about the book, but something about it just hasn’t hooked me.  Do I sound crazy?  I am interested to know, have you read Eat, Pray, Love?  Should I finish or just throw in the towel and try again with something new?  And if I do give up on finishing, what do I read next?  Maybe part of it I would rather just watch the wonderfully fabulous Julia Roberts movie version . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

{Thanks for taking time to stop by!}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...